The Institute of Research and Learning (IRLearning) and its related entities is dedicated to protecting the personal information entrusted to it. The aim of this policy is to articulate our strong commitment to maintaining the security and integrity of personal information within our care and endorse the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988. These principles govern how organisations handle personal information
- give consumers, individuals and companies we deal with a better and more complete understanding of the sort of personal information that IRLearning and or its related entities holds, and the way we handle that information
- clearly communicate the personal or sensitive information handling practices of IRLearning and its related entities; and
- enhance the transparency of IRLearning’s operations.
Why we collect personal information
We collect personal information about you which is reasonably necessary to:
- manage our businesses
- provide quality products or services
- consider any applications and approaches made to us
- conduct marketing, social functions and deliver various communications
- maintain your contact and other details
- fulfil our Legal and Corporate Governance obligations
Without such information, we may not be able to properly process some or all of your requests or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
What Information IRLearning collects
IRLEARNING and or its related entities collect a range of information from consumers, individuals and companies that are related to membership, training, products, services, contracts, forms and details collected at expos and other events.
In the course of doing business, we may collect information from consumers, individuals and companies: names, addresses, telephone numbers, credit card information, images, videos and e-mail addresses, demographic information and products and services; depending on the nature of the transaction with us.
How We Collect Information
IRLearning and its related entities collects information directly from consumers, individuals and companies we do we business with. We do this in several ways, including when consumers, individuals and companies:
- make enquiries with IRLearning
- dealing with dispute resolution
- enquire or join IRLearning as a member
- register to attend meetings, conferences etc
- provide us with personal or other details via telephone, digital services and devices
- fill out branded contract and application forms
- submit personal or other details by using branded materials and resources
- submit personal or other details through using our websites
We may also collect unsolicited and solicited personal information indirectly, through publicly available sources, or through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google as well as information through our related entities.
IRLearning and its related entity websites record standard information such as time, date and URL of visits and requests made by all our web servers. This information allows us to track visitor pattern usage and is used to improve the functionality, structure and performance of our websites.
Using Personal Information
We use personal information to better understand consumer, individual and company interests and needs in the following ways:
- provide, deliver, source, administer, improve and personalise our products and services
- process payments and facilitate transactions
- enable related entities and our third-party service providers to provide us with IT products and services, carry out product investigations, data processing, data analysis, business consulting, auditing, archiving, printing, delivery and mailing services
- provide more relevant marketing offering through direct marketing, database compilation, market research, data analysis and segmentation, and the processing or creation of other marketing information
- combine or compile with publicly available information for the processing or creation of marketing offers and information
- personalising consumer, individual and company experiences, including, where appropriate, identifying individuals
- communicating with consumers, individuals and companies, including facilitating a dispute resolution process
- develop and expand our operations to better suit consumers, individuals and companies needs, such as planning for future events and activities
- maintaining and keeping consumers, individuals and companies information current and as accurate as possible
Data security and Retention
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information against misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These steps include:
- storing digital and paper records securely
- ensuring our buildings are secure, and
- regularly updating our storage and data systems
When no longer required, we destroy or archive personal information in a secure manner.
Ordering products, booking events, advertising and training online through IRLearning and its related entities is designed to be as simple as possible, while still providing security and privacy for all your details. You can pay for goods, services and training using various forms of payments including credit cards. We only store credit card information where necessary to process your payment securely.
While will strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us over the internet or receive from our online products and services. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
Email and SMS Subscription Lists
If you elect to register or receive information from IRLearning and its related entities, some of your personal or company information will be required to facilitate that request. We may also use SMS, search engine and social media sites to make marketing offers which may be of interest to you.
You can opt out of these communications directly from the messages you receive.
We collect personal information from current, future and past employees directly and from third parties who have agreed to provide human resources related services to IRLearning and its related entities. We use this personal information to provide employment related services like Professional Development, Coaching and Remuneration & Payroll.
Third parties are engaged to provide some of these services and in doing so are all contractually obliged to comply with the Privacy Act.
Access and correction to information we hold about you
Where practicable you will have access to the information that you provide to us.
Exceptions to this include:
- where providing access will provide a serious threat to life or health of any individual or pose an unreasonable impact on the privacy of an individual
- your request for access is frivolous or vexatious
- where providing access would be unlawful or may prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity.
You can update information IRLearning or its related entities holds if your circumstances have changed. Requests to change information must be made in writing.
Additional Privacy Information
For further information about privacy issues and the protection of privacy, visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner’s web site at www.privacy.gov.au.
We do not disclose personal information to third parties unless we are permitted to do so by law or you have given us your consent to do so. Third parties we may disclose personal information to include:
- related entities
- service providers including IT service providers, advertising and marketing service providers; and third-party fulfilment contractors
- professional advisors including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- payment system operators and financial institutions, and
- government agencies
What to do if you have a problem or question
If IRLearning and its related entities becomes aware of any ongoing concerns or problems you may have with our handling of your personal information, we will work to address these concerns in a timely manner.
The Privacy Officer
Institute of Retail and Learning
1/33 Daking Street, North Parammatta NSW 2151